Sunday, September 10, 2006


Do You Sleep


Do you sleep? My lord asked me,

for your eyes they must be closed.

Or do you see what pleases thee?

That was the question posed.


My lord I cherish everything-

upon the Earth that moves.

From the smallest of all creatures,

to the beasts that walk on hooves.


Then what of man, who is your kin-

in every thought and deed.

All brothers and all sisters,

prey do you feel their need?


Lord, are they not unworthy?

As they murder lust and steel.

Then trample nations unto dust-

if they refuse to kneel.


Once I was Gautama,

a prince in my own land.

And I used to sit in wonder-

of the pleasures that where planed.


One day there came four messengers-

who refused to be ignored.

And each then took it in his turn-

to show me life and more.


Do you sleep? The four asked me,

for your eyes they must be closed.

Or do you see what pleases thee?

That was the question posed.



1 comment:

Marilyn Thompson said...

Jim This gave me chills. I will have to add your site to the links pages if you dont mind.
Marilyn